Posted by: Drummond Island Tall Ship CO. on December 20, 2019
Category: Deck: Unlicensed
Come sail with us aboard Schooner Huron Jewel! We are seeking a couple of deckhands to be part of our sailing family for the season of 2021.
No experience is required, but you must enthusiastic, curious, and have a willingness to learn.
Drummond Island Tall Ship Co is a husband and wife owned and run business, offering a variety of public day sails, multi-day sails, and special events. Located in the eastern end of Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula, Drummond Island Tall Ship Company sails Schooner Huron Jewel, a custom hand-built gaff-rigged schooner, on northern Lake Huron and the Canadian North Channel.
We offer a low-pressure position, while still maintaining a well-run business. There is a large amount of one-on-one interaction and experience with Capt. Hugh operating the schooner, so this is a great opportunity for someone wanting to really learn tall ship sailing.
We require a high level of professionalism in all aspects associated with this position including seamanship and customer relations.
The crew will work together to engage with and educate passengers on the history, geology, and ecology of the area, as well as about various aspects of traditional sailing to help passengers enjoy their tall ship experience.
Duties will include rigging, sail handling, navigation, greeting passengers and assuring their safety, handling dock lines, food preparation and cook, running errands, merchandise sales, and maintenance and cleaning of the schooner.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Positions available May – October 2021 .
Start and finish times may be adjusted.
To apply send your resume, three references, recent photo, and answer the questions “Why do you want to crew with us?” and “What is your favorite book and why?”
See www.ditallship.com for more info about Schooner Huron Jewel.
- Be physically fit, energetic, hardworking, and will have an outgoing, friendly demeanor.
- Be able to follow commands at a moment’s notice.
- Be able to take directions and work with limited supervision.
- Know how to tie a specific list of knots used in tall ship handling – list of knots and reference material will be sent upon acceptance. Deckhand will need to be familiar with these knots upon start of season.
- Be able to work long hours.
- Experience with sailing and boating a plus, but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity is a must.
- Must enjoy working with the public.
- Must have a passport and able to travel to Canada.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment USCG approved drug test
License: None, Inland
Room, board, and tips.
Additional pay commensurate with experience.
Homeport: Drummond Island, MI
Sparred Length: 78'
Beam: 14' 8"
Rig height: 68'
Sail Area: 1700 sq ft