Posted by: Hudson River Sloop Clearwater Inc. on February 17, 2021
The Onboard Education Coordinator is a full time live aboard position beginning on April 3rd and runs through the end of October. Due to COVID-19, Clearwater’s programming schedule will look different from a traditional year. Clearwater seeks an Onboard Education Coordinator that can be flexible as we navigate these uncharted waters; and be prepared to jump in and assist with virtual, onboard, and onland education programming as needed.
Lead two, three-hour environmental education programs with up to 25 passengers (note that
education sails normally include up to 50 passengers but we are reducing our passengers by 50%
as a precautionary COVID measure);
● Training crew and education interns in the Sailing Classroom Education Curriculum each week;
● Under the guidance of, and in coordination with, the Captain, First Mate, and Program Director,
be responsible for the continued educational preparedness and community of crew and interns;
● Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, and in coordination with the Outreach and
Engagement Manager, engage in outreach to schools, community groups, and the public through
social media, tabling, and educational programs;
● Coordinates with the Marketing Team to create regular social media and video content with a
focus on Hudson Valley ecology, history, and community;
● Operate and maintain a trawl net, plankton tow, water quality data equipment, and monitor
● Coordinate and implement, under the guidance of the Program Director, multi-day Youth
Empowerment Programs onboard the vessel in July and August;
Be an exemplary crew member and model good shipboard/community behavior;
● Maintain a strong line of communication with the office staff and marketing team (for social
media coordination) and attend weekly staff meetings;
● Perform administrative tasks for the upcoming week’s teachers and students for their time onboard.
As a member of the crew, the Onboard Education Coordinator is required to pass a
pre-employment drug test and are subject to random drug testing throughout the course of their
● As a member of the crew, the Onboard Education Coordinator is required to quarantine for two
weeks prior to the start date and pass a COVID-19 PCR test 24-72 hours prior to arrival aboard the
vessel, and are subject to random COVID tests throughout the course of their contract;
● Applicants should have a degree in education, natural sciences, environment studies, or related
fields and/or several years of classroom or outdoor teaching experience;
● Applicants must have excellent communication skills and be willing and able to speak publicly to
● Strong organizational and time management skills, with an emphasis on attention to detail and the
ability to appropriately balance competing priorities;
● Applicants must be able to lift and carry at least 30 lbs and be willing to work outdoors in all
● Applicants should be self-motivated, enjoy public speaking, have a passion for teaching
● Applicants must be willing to live on board a ship that sails primarily on the Hudson River and
thrive in communal living conditions
● Applicants must be available to work a varied schedule, including weekends and holidays;
● Ability to maintain a work environment that challenges gender stereotypes and is LGBTQ-affirming.
License: None, Inland
Room, board, laundry, and crew sweatshirt/T-shirt provided.
Homeport: Beacon, NY
Sparred Length: 106'
LOD: 76' 6
Rig height: 108'
Sail Area: 4350 square feet