Posted by: Mystic Seaport Museum on October 8, 2021
Purpose of Position: To provide supervision, including leadership and management of SABINO; BRILLIANT; Launches, Charters, Boathouse Program; Yachts on Exhibit and to serve as captain on these vessels.
Please apply online at https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=4052348.
- Responsible for staffing; hiring, training, evaluating staff in the areas as outlined above.
- Represent Mystic Seaport with brokers, surveyors and potential donors and charterers to facilitate donation, use (charter, festivals, etc) and sale of Yachts on Exhibit vessels.
- Develop and maintain manuals, records and logbooks for the fleet
- Innovative and vigorous Business development of program vessels.
- Operate vessel(s) in the program as needed.
- Insure compliance with regulations for operations including state and USCG regulations.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of budgets and expenses.
- Work with other departments (Advancement, Education) to provide support for sailing opportunities.
- Maintain appropriate professional relationships with others in the field, particularly on the Mystic River.
- In conjunction with V.P. and Henry B duPont Shipyard Director manage the physical care of vessels related to programs supervised.
- Responsible for Emergency Preparedness for all vessels supervised.
- Foster volunteer program to assist with vessel upkeep and operation
- Participant in Museum Supervisor Meetings
- Duty officer responsibilities.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination will be required.
- 100 ton or larger USCG license with Auxiliary Sail Endorsement. Five years of experience in maritime operations.
- Willingness to undergo scheduled and random drug testing with ongoing clean results
- High degree of skill in handling vessels of varying sizes
- Must possess a thorough understanding of USCG regulations as they apply to personnel, vessels, and vessel management.
- Some weekend, evening, and holiday work is expected
- A high degree of flexibility regarding scheduling
- Ability to be on call as needed
- Willingness to operate other Museum vessels as needed
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Familiarity of watercraft operations including vessel inspection, licensing, reporting, etc.
- Ability to perform routine maintenance including systems work, rigging, varnishing, and painting
- Experience aboard traditional vessels both sail and power as well as modern boats.
- Must be computer literate with strong Internet and word processing skills.
- Able to travel as needed for vessel support
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with program participants, staff, donors, trustees, and all others.
- Must be knowledgeable of or able to quickly learn to use all programs necessary for performance of position including Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, and other technologies as they become necessary.
- Exceptional organizational skills as well as attention to detail required.
- Ability to represent department and Museum with professional confidence.
- Knowledge of Mystic Seaport, the Mystic River and Fishers Island Sound
- An ability to work with staff, volunteers, Museum Trustees, donors and passengers
- An interest in and the ability to interact with Museum visitors to better their understanding of the work at hand as well as the more broad educational goals of the Museum.
- An interest in and the ability to pass work related skills to volunteers
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a highly fluid environment.
- Job requires bending, lifting, climbing and prolonged physical activity in all weather conditions
- Position requires an ability to maintain high levels of visual and mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- Position requires positive interaction with the public
- The nature of the work involved requires extended periods of time outdoors in a variety weather conditions.
- Must be able to access boats, floats, and bilges.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
License: Master, 100t, Near Coastal