On May 2, 1904, the steam tugboat G. B. Pattee II was launched in Quyon, Quebec. She worked the logging industry for 50 years on the Upper Ottawa River. In 1952 the hull was purchased by the late Captain Thomas G. Fuller and converted to a brigantine, renamed the Black Jack, as a family yacht. Since then, Captain Fuller’s son, Simon Fuller, founded Bytown Brigantine as a charitable foundation dedicated to fostering leadership, confidence, and self-reliance in youth through the adventure of square-rigged sailing. On her 100th anniversary in
2004, Black Jack underwent a major refit and was re-christened by the Right Honorable Adrienne Clarkson, Canada’s
Governor General. At the same time, the vessel was designated Ottawa’s Signature Vessel by the City of Ottawa. Black Jack is now the centerpiece of the Black Jack Island Adventure Camp, a 5-10 day program where youth 12-14 sail Black Jack and her complement of 27-foot navy whalers, as well as participating in various island camp activities.
Homeport: Ottawa, Ontario
Sparred Length: 87'
Rig height: 60'
Sail Area: 2300 square feet
Program Type: Sail Training, Summer Camp, Adventure Camp
Normal cruising waters: Upper Ottawa River
Season: Summer and Fall