Built in 1930 in the Matagorda Shipyard and factory located in Cadiz, Spain, the Capitan Miranda originally served as a hydrographic vessel. As such, she carried out an outstanding and extensive career, performing countless cartographical surveys which were, and still are, highly useful to seamen. The ship honors the memory of Captain Francisco P. Miranda (1869 – 1925), who was not only a bright professional but also an exceptional teacher, particularly remembered for his research in sea subjects. In 1977, the vessel underwent a major refit and in 1978 was rededicated as a sail training vessel for the Uruguayan navy teaching newly graduated midshipmen to apply the knowledge acquired at the Naval Academy.
Homeport: Montevideo, Uruguay
Sparred Length: 205'
LWL: 147' 5
Program Type: sail training vessel of th Uruguayan Navy
Normal cruising waters: Worldwide (summer), Worldwide (winter)
Contact: Embassy of Uruguay