M/S Silva was built on the shores of Lake Vanern – Karlstad, Sweden in 1939. Silva was the first of a series of seven steel sailing vessels built in an attempt to modernize the Swedish small ship fleet. These seven became the last ships in the Swedish merchant marine built as sailing vessels. Silva spent the majority of her career trading general cargo on the coast of Sweden, the Baltic countries, and throughout Scandanavia. She was a motor sailer, and due to fuel costs (and often shortages), the sailing rig was an important feature of her design. In 1960 she was purchased by interests on the west coast of Sweden at Bohuslan. The new owners down-rigged Silva to a motor vessel. In this configuration Silva traded grain and fish throughout the 70’s and 80’s. By 1993 she had stopped trading.
In the spring of 2001 Canadian Sailing Expeditions purchased the Silva and brought her to Nova Scotia. After a 9-month restoration the Silva was relaunched in Halifax Harbour where she continues to sail today. Her profile now is identical to that of her launch date in 1939 as one of the last sailing cargo vessels built.
Silva sails daily May through October offering day sails, charters, group tours, and youth sail training programs on Halifax Harbour. Opportunities for advanced sail training are available through paid crew positions aboard.
Homeport: Halifax, Nova Scotia